Thursday, June 17, 2010

Joystiq Dungeon Siege 3 preview

Joystiq has a preview of Dungeon Siege 3, which oddly is being published by Square-Enix and developed by Obsidian Studios; the game is taking a somewhat different route with the gameplay:

As someone who's predominately a console gamer, I wasn't particularly familiar with the Dungeon Siege franchise before I sat down for a peek at the third iteration deep within the recesses of Square-Enix's E3 booth. I knew it owed a lot to Diablo, but little else. Within the first seconds of seeing Dungeon Siege III, however, I knew that Obsidian's new take on the series had been designed with someone like me in mind.

The most obvious cue? The perspective, which has gone from the zoomed out view the series is most associated with, to a more traditional third-person action perspective right over the shoulder. The classic view is still available with just a button press, but most of the demo I saw zooms in tight on the lead character.


The message is pretty clear: This is the new face of
Dungeon Siege, and it's doing its darndest to win me over.

Despite the change of perspective in gameplay, I'm hoping that controlling a party is still in the game, because that is what made the series different from any other hack-and-slash games. That, and hot red-headed farmgirls with swords.

No comments:

Post a Comment